Wednesday, September 19, 2007

A dream come true


When we were young, didn't we all dream about a really cool clubhouse we could call our own? I remember building a little fort (really little) when I was 7 and Cathy was about 9. We used scrap wood we found in the alley. It had a Huckleberry Hound pillowcase for a door. Well, Daniel has not only dreamed of a clubhouse, but he's made various little hideouts over the years. Recently, he and Dale decided to really build him one. They designed it on paper, bought the materials, then constructed it - a 6'x8' home for adventure. The frame is pretty solid and made of 2x4s. They wanted a lightweight covering for the outside, instead of plywood, so it could be easily moved or changed. Well, after some shopping, we decided on tarp material for the outside. The stuff that comes in rolls, 6 feet wide, just happened to be orange. Before we knew it, the boys had constructed The Great Pumpkin. With orange tarp on the outside, green tarp on the roof, and a cloud shower curtain for a door, Daniel and his friends are set for adventure! They have stocked it with chairs and a table as well as a cart to hold things like snacks, pens, paper, games, etc. There is a broom and dustpan (we'll see if they get used) and space for many hours of fun. Yesterday, Daniel was in his own little world for two hours doing his homework. He's a happy man! And, so to our neighbors, I offer no real apologies, but I do say that the Great Pumpkin really can rise for those who truly believe!

3 comments:

cathy g said...

Hey there! Fyi, your site does not allow anonymous comments! But I perservered and reset my password and wrote it down, now I am online!! I love reading these because even though we talk alot, I don't know all the details! Thanks for sharing

Heather said...

Sweet Crib! Can't wait to come tour it.

ColleenDown said...

I wish I had a clubhouse to hide in. It was fun to catch up on all your comings and goings. You have been married sixteen years so that means Trevor is sixteen which explains why he is going to the Homecoming dance this weekend. Where did time go?