Monday, December 3, 2007

Do we live in Hawaii, or what?

Last Saturday I got one of those burrs in my bonnet that made me want to clean out a drawer or two. I took out everything from the silverware drawer so I could wash the plastic container and clean out the drawer. In the back I found a rock that was 3"-4" in diameter. The whole family was in the kitchen so I asked what I thought was a rhetorical question, "Does anyone know why there's a rock in the silverware drawer?" To my surprise, Dale piped up, "Yeah, that's the rock I use for breaking open coconuts!"

I have two thoughts: It's been years since we last bought a fresh coconut, but apparently we're prepared! It's better than the method he tried to use the time he put the coconut on one of my nice stoneware plates then brought out a hammer.

Coconut, anyone??

3 comments:

AnneMarie said...

We tried the hammer method with the coconut on a corelle plate. Let's just say I had no idea how many shards of glass could come out of one plate!

Dale said...

The coconut rock is perfect - triangular and about an inch thick. You hold it with the longest edge along the inside of the index finger as if you were going to skip it across a pond. That puts one of its blunt points, the business end, pointing away from the palm of the hand. Grasp the coconut with the other hand and smack it right between the eyes with the coconut rock. It works so well. No dangerous hammers. No shattered dinnerware. No tears. It's the right tool for the job. I'm so glad I was in the kitchen when Cheryl discovered it. A small miracle I'm sure. It would have been so sad to have such a great tool thrown out like a piece of trash. Maybe I should make a nice wooden case, or leather bag for it.

ColleenDown said...

Maybe you could go rock hunting and give these unique stones as christmas gifts!