Thursday, April 10, 2008

Recollections

So, in the last two weeks, I've two nieces named Heather deliver sweet baby boys at 37 weeks gestation. In both cases, they were just enough early that they had some fluid on their lungs causing pneumonia. In both cases, they had to stay a little longer at the hospital while the babies rested, grew, and had antibiotics in the special care nursery.

As I went to visit, my mind and heart were flooded with memories of our stay with Daniel in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit as he was born at 29 weeks gestation. He had to stay longer with a little more help than sweet Eli and Jackson, but the feelings were clearly the same as I watched the Heathers fret over their sons' health.

I was able to offer some comfort in that Daniel had all those medicines and his lungs are fine today -- he recently took a lung capacity test in band and he passed just fine. But I certainly wasn't able to offer comfort that all would be smooth after they got past this hurdle. No, more years just bring more roller coaster emotions of highs, lows, joys, and heartbreaks. I keep looking at my older sisters and sisters-in-law hoping to see that the roller coaster ride is gonna end. However, it looks like the ride just gets scarier, louder, and riskier. I guess I have to hope that the fun parts are funner too!!

I recently heard about a new book whose title is based on a Yiddish proverb. It's called, "We Plan, God Laughs." I haven't read the book, but I like the title. I hope I can remember that on those days when I'm not getting the same good laugh. In so many ways, it seems my life has not gone according to my plan. But I have included a picture of my sweet Daniel while he was in the hospital to remind me how perfect it's been for me. Really, do they get in cuter than that??? (I hope all the readers are saying, 'Yes, my child was cuter.')

And so I return to my laundry, my packing for our trip to North Carolina, and my daily frustrations, but maybe somewhere in my heart my memories can help get me through the day. Thanks for the reminders, Heather and Heather.

3 comments:

ColleenDown said...

For someone trying to pack for a weeks vacation you are very busy blogging. Life certainly is a rollercoaster. But rollercoasters are exciting (and they make me throw up!)

Cheryl said...

Colleen, I love your perspective. They make me throw up too. It always helps me to know I'm not alone.

Heather said...

"We plan, God laughs." That explains so much.