Thursday, August 26, 2010

It finally happened

Have you ever had something happen that you've long feared or worried about? Well, I have. It happened yesterday, and I survived.

As many of you may know, I've always feared earwigs. I didn't like them as a little girl, then I saw "The Wrath of Khan" and it sealed the deal. (Note: I know that bug probably wasn't really a giant earwig, but it sure seemed that way! And I've always been afraid of them crawling in my ear. Why else would they call them EAR wigs?????)

Anyway, every time I do vegetables from the garden, I am on high earwig alert. Somehow today I was distracted by the chard. Next thing you know, I felt a pinch on my hand. When I looked, there was the offending earwig securely attached to my palm. They really do pinch and hang on!!!!! Knowing I had to exert some self-discipline so as not to encourage phobias in my sensitive children, I contained all screaming in my head. I did shake my hand a little freakishly, though, till I got him to release. Then I killed him!

After calling Dale for some adult sympathy, I finished the vegetables and knew I was just a little stronger than I thought I was before. (And the truth is that it really didn't hurt that bad or for that long. Just so you know.)

If any of you have had a similar "I've always feared..." experience, please feel free to share it here, or at least call me for heartfelt sympathy!!!

6 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you survived! Those things are gross. Miss you guys!

ColleenDown said...

I remember living in South Provo close to the lake, after seeing a couple of garter snakes we packed up the car and moved. Twenty years and four boys later-I walk out in my kitchen one morning, pick the slithering snake up off the floor, carry it to Zac's room, drop it on his bed and tell him to put the lid on tighter next time! Earwigs still freak me and I haven't even seen the movie. Glad to see you back in the blogger world.

Dave said...

I share a phobia for earwigs centered around watching "The Wrath of Khan", which was probably 1 of 3 movies we had on VHS growing up. (the other 2 were chitty-chitty bang-bang and Silverado)

Heather said...

I have never seen the Wrath of Khan, which is probably why I've been under the mistaken impression that earwigs didn't really pinch, I thought those appendages were to attract mates or something.

Thanks for giving me a whole new reason to be freaked out. I just hope Isaac doesn't find out.

PS It was good to see you today. I hope everything goes splendidly for you the rest of the weekend.

cathyg said...

I have the earwig phobia, too! Can't stand the things! My other phobia is being asked to help make 100's of crepes...oh, that's not so bad either, in case you were wondering! Seriously, it was fun to get together today, see you soon!

Dale said...

I'm not too creeped out by earwigs. I don't like them, but most critters don't bother me too much. However, speaking of Khan, the thing that bothered me were those unnatural-looking pecs that he sported. I guess they're real, like earwigs, but I think they got as much response from movie goers as did the giant earwig around Chekov's brain stem.