Thursday, June 9, 2011

Now all I need is a highway...

I've officially adopted one of everything else (a little person, a cat, and now a dog)!!  If only I had a highway, my collection would be complete.

Much to her great happiness, Cheyenne's 11 years of asking for a dog were not in vain.  According to her, she "finally got a dog!"  And let me just say that getting one as the mom is a really different experience than getting one as a kid.

We didn't know exactly what we wanted, except that we wanted something not to big or too small, one that didn't shed much, preferably one already housetrained, and most of all, one that would be Cheyenne's friend!!  We did okay on most counts.  The housetraining part leaves something to be desired, but considering my track record, I am destined to deal with pee more than the average person.

Meet Molly.  She is a cockapoo (half cocker spaniel, half poodle).  She is small enough to be a companion, but large enough to not be carried around like a stuffed animal.  She doesn't shed much.  She's playful but pretty mild.  She isn't yappy or whiny.  We like her.  She really needs a good grooming, but that will come.  For now, we're just embracing the scraggly look!





And just briefly, while we're on the subject of animals, let me just follow up on Dale's last blog entry.  The bird was a present delivered by our cat Jackson.  He brought in an injured bird he hoped to eat.  Of course he did it in the middle of a crazy busy day with tutoring students, kids, etc.  Daniel convinced me the bird wasn't very injured because we saved it in time.  The kids really wanted to save it - to nurse it back to health.  I wanted Dale to deal with it when he got home.  I conceded to let them put it in a box.  Before we could do that, it flew out of Daniel's hands and into my pantry.  I really did not have time for a bird to be perched in my pantry!  After some time and effort, Daniel managed to retrieve it with a butterfly net.  Then it just sat outside on our picnic table motionless for over an hour while the cat was locked inside being tormented.  When Dale arrived home, it flew away, never to return.

It wasn't a huge deal, I guess, but it was one more thing in an otherwise crazy day that is the kind of thing that doesn't happen to just anyone.  Lucky me!!

7 comments:

ColleenDown said...

she is so cute--it is a match made in heaven--I can't wait to see her in person with Cheyenne--so how does she like the car?? (I don't know why Puff and Priss seemed so effortless as kids)

Romney said...

How fun! I bet Cheyenne is in heaven! Hopefully the house training part improves quickly for you!

BarbWitzke said...

Mollie looks like the purr-fect match for Cheyenne! She is so cute--
She even resembles the dog Chey carries (before it got worn out)

jessica&john.com said...

Ha Ha! I love your title!... But it sounds like you have a lot on your plate to be picking up trash along the interstate;)
Mollie is adorable! I am so happy for Cheyenne. A cockapoo does sound like the perfect pet. Thanks for finding time to post.

Anonymous said...

Very cute dog--Brooke is jealous! :) Hey, did I ever tell you my bird story? It's a good one too . . .

Meagan Merrell said...

Whoops--that last "anonymous" post was me! :)

Heather said...

Why stop at a highway? You could Adopt-a-native-elder, adopt-a-manatee, adopt-a-soldier. Come on, you have time!