Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Weird human body stories

I had a friend visit today and reveal to me that she has no fingerprints. She's applying to take some "at risk" kids into her home so she's had to go through all kinds of red tape including fingerprinting. When she went to have it done, she was informed that she's worked so hard in her life that she's worn off all ten fingerprints! They tried cleaning them with Windex (it's not just for acne) and greasing them up, but to no avail. She's now been referred to the FBI to see if their methods can read anything. Friends, if you feel like you might be working a little too hard, you now have a new excuse. "I'm sorry, I can't help or I may wear off my prints." It's worth a try!

An hour before my friend's visit I caught a CBS news story about a company that is growing human tissue. In the story, they showed a heart valve they'd grown and a bladder grown from a woman's own cells that was to be placed in her during surgery. As if that weren't amazing enough, they then showed a mouse heart which had been created by spraying cells in layers from an inkjet printer! Just in case you're interested in the science or if you've just always wanted to see a bladder up close and personal, check out this CBS news story

For a nerd like me, this was one big news day, and it sure beat hearing one more political commentary. Maybe I'll pick up an extra printer and see what Daniel can do ......

2 comments:

Heather said...

That is so cool...and weird. I don't think I'll be able to look at my printer the same way again. Just think of the possibilities...and what if those inkjet refill places at the mall start refilling with tissue cells...

Cheryl said...

We had the same discussions are our house. It puts a new light on the message you get that the ink cartridges are low, doesn't it?