Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Good Day

Tuesday, March 25, 2008, 2:00 p.m. - Cheyenne's second grade special ed teacher called to tell me her news of the day. She was excited and didn't want to wait until after school. Cheyenne had just spent her first day attending math in a regular second grade classroom. She joined her peers where she completed a subtraction worksheet and only missed two. She loved it.

This is the first real step toward mainstreaming Cheyenne into a regular classroom. The plan is to transition her into a regular classroom at our neighborhood school for third grade. I'm excited and scared and happy and sad. I'm so pleased to see Cheyenne making such progress. I'm scared to see what's going to happen when she's in a room with 25-30 other kids without the focused attention she gets now. I'm happy to see her joining all the other kids, but sad to give up a class of 12 kids with a teacher and 2 aides! I guess it's all just part of the roller coaster that is motherhood as I watch her growing and progressing. Overall, this change will probably just mean a few more entries and stories to tell on my blog as she attends school next year. For now, it's just a good day with good news!

3 comments:

AnneMarie said...

Hooray!!

ColleenDown said...

I need a teacher and two aides in my life. Thanks for all your help today, Cheryl.

Megan said...

Hi Cheryl, This is Megan (cooley) Hicken. I just started this blogg thing so i'm not sure how to use it but i'm learning. I was looking at a friends who led me to Cedar, who led me to Kim Elison, who led me to your blog. Your welcome to check out mine its not very interesting yet.