Sunday, August 24, 2008

And so she flies!

Dale often tells me about how he flies in his dream.  I don't.  However, I have wanted for some time to try the sport of paragliding because I liked the idea of trying to fly.  I've been in a hot air balloon and I've flown in a small plane.  Of my remaining flying choices (sky diving is definitely out and hang gliding seems awkward), paragliding seemed the safest and easiest to do.  You get to sit up and just enjoy.  So, when my niece said she wanted to paraglide for her birthday but she wanted someone to do it with, I jumped at the chance!  

Last night, we each took a tandem flight from the 
world-renowned Point of the Mountain between Salt Lake and Provo.  It was great!  Jessica gave the best description.  Though it was fun, there really wasn't ever an adrenaline-rush moment.  I was prepared to scream going over the edge, but I didn't even squeal 'cause it was so smooth!  Then you just kick back in your seat and enjoy.  We chatted, took pictures, enjoyed the scenery, etc.  I was one of those people you look up and see when you drive on the interstate past the Point of the Mountain.  
As we came in for a landing, the air currents pretty much stopped and dropped us like a rock.  It caught me off guard and gave me a nice drop on my butt, but it was all part of the experience!

This picture shows me just before takeoff.  There are a lot more fun pictures to see here.  I hope some of you will look at the pictures to see shots from the ground and the air.   

I recommend it.  I'd do it again.  I've checked it off my list.  Who knows what's next.

3 comments:

HAW said...

Its so hard to keep up with you and all of your adventures. And now, we don't know what your next grand adventure will be, but we know what is SHOULD be... namaste.

kelison said...

When I grow up, I want to be you. You are amazing!

Romney said...

That looks liks so much fun!! It may be something to add to my list of things to do! Those pictures you took are so cool too! I love how adventurous you are!