Monday, January 17, 2011

A Day in my WildeLife

Among the many things I did today was read a blog about a woman who is fascinated with reading the "Mormon Mommy Blogs," despite the fact that she considers herself a "young, feminist atheist." Between the blog itself and the hundreds of comments, there were several comments about these blogs and how they couldn't possibly be real. They said that most of the blogs portray young mothers dressed in the height of fashion with home interiors that look like catalogs. They said that the moms show their lives as perfect with perfect children.

So, in the spirit of my own blog, I'd like to say that I am a Mormon mother. And for posterity's sake, I'd like to document my day today to show what it's really like. I did get dressed today, but I wore blue jeans with what I'm sure is way too high of a waistline. My hair has been completely unmanageable. My house has been a cluttered mess for days. I've never had an interior that looked like a catalog, but my already frumpy interior has been covered with papers, stuffed animals, tea set dishes, text books, etc. I will add that today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day so the kids did not have school, but my husband did have to go to work.

My day:
  • Up early to make lunch for husband
  • Sneak a quick nap to get warm before the kids get up
  • Breakfast and clean up with the kids
  • Help change sheets
  • Help Daniel make bread for the piano teacher as a thank you for some special help
  • Laundry
  • Take son to the eye doctor to try to pick out new glasses since his are 3 or 4 years old
  • Pick up friends on the way home so son can finish French project
  • Fix lunch and clean up
  • Clean up dog poop off the stairs that got there from son's shoes
  • Help daughter call 6 or 7 friends trying to find someone to play with
  • Clean up blood and a tiny mouse leg that were stuck to the floor from some event with the cat
  • Take son to the doctor for a check up
  • Tutor a teenage girl in Geometry
  • Fix dinner for the family and clean up
  • Clean up house for neighbors to come over
  • Laundry
  • Help Dale teach neighbors how to make ancient bread while entertaining the younger set
  • Clean up bread mess
  • Get kids ready for bed
  • Do some paperwork with husband
  • Return call to old friend
  • Blog
That's just a list of the big things I did. I didn't include the whining, crying, hugging, arguing, explaining, loving, etc. That just all gets mixed in. It didn't include the reading in brief intervals, thinking, praying, hoping, wishing, etc. That gets mixed in too. I guess I'm just saying that you can be picture perfect sometimes and that's awesome. You can have a normal day sometimes and that's awesome too. You can even have bad days. But in the end, it's all okay, and it's good to be happy doing what I'm doing.

And so it goes.....


4 comments:

Dale said...

And this was not a busy day for Cheryl - nor a typical day, but then Cheryl doesn't have typical days. I've told her before that she should write a book just about the variety of phone calls she gets in a day - anything from being asked to watch a toddler while a mom takes another child to the doctor to being asked to provide a recipe for the man who should have been the king of Egypt (I did not make that up.).

ColleenDown said...

I am worn out and I haven't even gotten dressed yet! I think maybe I had better get back to one of those fluffy blogs where all the women have to do in the course of a day is reupholster their footstools.(Nothing worse than dog poop when you don't even have a dog!)

Cheryl said...

Let me be perfectly clear that my intent was not so show how much I do in a day. Trust me, I'm lazier than many, but it was to show that I do a variety of things, some of them more fun than others. As you'll recall, I've also blogged about days when I spent the day skiing. A day when you clean up dog poop (without owning a dog) and bloody mice in the same day was just too good to pass up!

Heather said...

But where are your pictures of you in our high-waisted jeans picking up dead mice and dog poop of the floor? I'm sorry, but this just can't be real :)

(BTW, grammar expert, how do you punctuate when using emoticons?)