Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Stunning Display

For those of you who are local, I'd like to make a strong recommendation to attend the Carl Bloch exhibit that is currently being shown at the BYU Museum of Art. It will be on display until May of 2011. We finally made it there this past weekend.

Carl Bloch was a Danish artist who was particularly known for his religious paintings. His works include multiple altarpieces for cathedrals in Europe as well as a large collection of paintings done for a palace in Denmark. Many of his works have been used by the LDS church in publications in which they would like to depict scenes from the Savior's life. You may be surprised by how many of them you've seen before.

I knew he did fine work. I'd seen pictures of some of his paintings. Even as you enter the museum, they have a large banner outside showing his painting of "doubting" Thomas with Christ after His resurrection. It's beautiful, but nothing compares to the actual works on display. The actual painting of Thomas and the Savior is one of the first works you see, and I still can't find the right words to describe it. It was stunning. It was spectacular.

I will never cease to be amazed at how paint can be laid down in layers to create such vibrant colors, such feelings, and such detail. I am equally amazed at how people have been able to preserve such works for the rest of us to see.

It was so fun to take Cheyenne and watch her be moved by the work as well. As she walked through the gallery and recognized stories from the Savior's life, she would comment on what each one was. It as a thrill on so many levels.

Information about the exhibit can be found here. It is free, but you do need to print a ticket to get in.

When you are done with that exhibit, I recommend going downstairs for the landscape exhibit and the electronic arts exhibit. We were thoroughly entertained in the electronics one! Read all about it here.

6 comments:

Heather said...

That has been on my list for months now. I've got to get down there. Thanks for your review.

Romney said...

Sounds amazing! Maybe one of my trips down to see the fam will have to include a stop there! See you on Thursday!

AnneMarie said...

And you could stop at Gloria's Little Italy for dinner--that would make the evening complete!

ColleenDown said...

Color-good way to fill a gray january afternoon!

jessica&john.com said...

You put into words so eloquently how i feel about art. I am so going to see this!

Rob and Emmalee said...

You probably didn't know I've been stalking your blog for a while now. Anyway I had a similar experience as you. Carl Bloch has always been my husbands favorite and we have a few pictures of his works in our home, but nothing is like seeing it live. It was amazing!