Sunday, January 1, 2012

Is it the end of the year already??

As I've been writing these blog posts to recap the year, it's been amazing to me how quickly it all went and how much I squeezed into the year.  As I looked back at November and December, I continued to be amazed.  So, here I sit on New Year's Eve trying to complete my summary of the year.  Let's see what those last two months brought.

Technically, I have to back up to October 31.  For my last out of state trip of the year, I left on the 31st to go to New Mexico.  My dear friend Marsha, has an annual conference that she reluctantly attends.  Several times she has invited me to accompany her, but this time I actually did.  We spent 3 fun-filled days in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Los Alamos.  

One of the highlights was a hike in Kasha-Katuwe National Monument.  It was a beautiful slot canyon that you could climb, then look down on the cool natural features.


The weather was great, and the fall colors were beautiful.
In Los Alamos, we went to a couple of museums and learned all kinds of stuff about WWII and the atomic bombs.
Since we were in Los Alamos, we decided to drive over to Espanola where my mom grew up.  This is the house she lived in as a teenager.  I imagine it looks a little different now, but it was cool to see it.
At the end of November, I made my last trip of the year.  Our family headed to Kanarraville to my mom's house for Thanksgiving.  This was the first ever Thanksgiving (as adults) with my family, my sisters' families, and my parents.  It was a party.  Here I am with all the pies I baked for the party!

The day after Thanksgiving, we celebrated Mom's 75th birthday with family and friends at the Kanarraville Town Hall.
 With a theme like "Dancing Through Life," you can bet we did some serious dancing.  We highlighted dances from each decade of her life.  And to spice it up, we donned clothing from those decades.  In this picture you can see me rocking my sister's prom dress from 1978 while dancing with my nephew Andy in his leisure suit.  Yeah!!
 The grandkids did their part to share their talents as well.
 And we closed the evening with an incredibly rare photo of most of the family.  Of course, we were missing a few, but this was a pretty good representation.
 As always, Thanksgiving was followed by Christmas.  I already blogged about our tree, but I couldn't write about December without showing it again.  We loved our "donate to the food bank" tree.
 At the beginning of the month, we were treated to a lovely church Christmas party complete with a nativity.  The shepherd with the red long sleeves is my sweet Cheyenne.
 Mid month I got to attend one of my favorite parties of the year.  We had our annual Derby Girls Christmas lunch at Colleen's.  She has a knack for decorating beautifully, no matter the occasion.  Over the years, this luncheon has proven to be full of good food, lots of laughs, and some great gifts.  

 One of my gifts was from my sister Cathy who had been traveling in New York City earlier that week.  Her gift to me was a collection of food bought in a Jewish market in NY so we could use it for our annual Bethlehem dinner.  I loved the food, but I also loved that she bought it in NYC and carried around al day.
 Once the kids got out for the Christmas break, we took on projects to prepare for the big day.  One day we invited our friends over and we made poteca (a special bread Mom made).  I have fond memories of doing this as a kid.  You can see we had lots of helpers!
 This is the spreading of the nut filling!
 And this is the final product!!  YUM! YUM!

 Before we knew it, it was Christmas Eve day.  The day started with reindeer pancakes.  This one was fun and simple.
 And the day ended with sweet Cheyenne preparing healthy snacks for Santa and the reindeer.
 Christmas day brought lots of smiles.  For Daniel, those smiles were biggest when he opened his gift of chemicals that he could mix and burn for the 'showy' factor.  There may be no stopping him now.
 And, for Cheyenne, the cutest smiles came later in the day when she opened Grandma Wilde's gift -- a ukulele with a dolphin on it.  I can't wait to hear her songs.  
 The partying continued past Christmas as Grandma Wilde hosted a little party at her house a couple days later.  It was fun to see Dale's side of the family.  And I love reasons to extend any holiday!
It's been an awesome couple of months and and an awesome year!!

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a way to cap it all off. May you have just as much fun in 2012, or if you prefer, a more restful year.

ColleenDown said...

So seeing the pic of mom's old house was kind of deja vu! I was really little but I do remember going there. I love the reindeer pancakes, I will need to file that away in my Nana file-which has a tendency to delete rapidly these days. Tell Cheyenne I will look forward to hearing a song on the Ukelele next time we are together. Sounds like you will have plenty to blog in 2012 too!

Cathy G said...

Wow! I jumped online to catch up on blogs and wondered how I had missed all of these...then I saw the dates and now I know where I was! What an amazing year you have had! Glad you enjoyed so many bucket list items as well as just great memory making with your family! And don't forget to add the awesome ACT score Daniel achieved! Here's to a great 2012 for you and your family! Why don't you start it off with a cake???

Darcee said...

You are so full of adventure!! I'm glad there are people out there who love to travel and play and have fun! Boring people like me prefer just to stay home and make dinner! Oh, and you do that too! Maybe I need a life!

Suzanne said...

I am so excited for you that you got to drive Kris Belcher somewhere. I've only heard her speak but I laughed so ridiculously hard; she is an absolute riot.

What fun times! I noticed some familiar faces at your host-a-murder...that's a picture to cherish.