Sunday, January 8, 2012

Judging from this week, 2012 will be busy too

That's a long title, but it expresses the sentiment of the week.  We're really only one week into the new year, but it's already been a busy one.  Of course, it's been filled with the daily tasks of getting kids off to school, doing math after school, feeding and clothing the family, walking the dog, etc., but it's been full of lots of other things too.

Let's see.... there's been plenty of thermite.  Any men reading this blog will probably know what that is, but you women may not be sure.  If you combine aluminum powder with red iron oxide, then light it with magnesium tape, it creates an exothermic reaction that burns at a couple thousand degrees.  In other words, you create a fire that requires sunglasses to watch and that will melt a metal can in seconds.  And it does a number on a gingerbread house.  The picture shows the remains of an aluminum can.


Earlier this week, I had a fun opportunity to get to know a local author and speaker named Kris Belcher.  From the time she was baby she had to deal with the effects of cancer that reduced her sight.  About 8 years ago, she had a second bout with cancer and lost her sight completely.  She has learned to deal with it with dignity and humor.  I had the privilege of taking her to Salt Lake for a speaking engagement then bringing her home.  She was very funny and had some great insights about challenges.  I'll have to read her books now.

The end of the week was dominated by cake baking and decorating.  You know, new year -- new cake.  This was for my nephew Adam's wedding.  They were married last week in Newport Beach, California, so a beach-themed reception was appropriate.


And after the wedding celebrations, we ended the week with a murder.  Okay, it was a murder mystery.  We thoroughly enjoyed our Hawaiian-themed murder party with a number of friends.  Well, at least we enjoyed it until we figured out that my husband was the murderer.  It keeps my life interesting, right?

 And, when the week was over, I crashed on the couch snuggled up with Molly.  She wasn't fighting at all, just lying there still.  I guess she loves me no matter what.
I can hardly wait to see what Week 2 of the new year has in store!

5 comments:

Cathy G said...

Thank you for the beautiful cake! It was perfect for our party! I appreciate all the time you gave to make it! Your party looked fun too! And tell me more about taking the speaker to SLC!

ColleenDown said...

Glad to see you asleep on the couch--I didn't think you ever did such a thing! I wonder what a little thermite would do to a wedding cake....only Daniel knows. Glad to see you still blogging, what is my excuse?

jessica&john.com said...

You guys are no ordinary family and I love it. Thanks for sharing all of your wild happenings with us. It means so much to me now that I can't hear about it over yummy soups and salads.
Once again, the cake is AMAZING!
And congrats to Daniel's SAT...also AMAZING.

Suzanne said...

I forgot to mention in my other comment WOW on the cake. It is beautiful.

Heather said...

I read Kris Belcher's book today (in one sitting, a book binge). Thanks for the recommendation. She has a beautiful testimony.