Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Cakes, cakes, cakes

I'm not sure if I should blame my niece Romney or thank her, but I'm currently preparing to make my third wedding cake in as many years. This assignment (for my husband's boss' daughter) has been a little more daunting because it's so big and involves skills I have not previously used. I've been reading a ton, both from books and the internet, and I decided to take my first cake decorating class ever! I knew they weren't teaching all the skills I'd need, but I also knew I was bound to learn a thing or two. It was kind of fun! I chalked it up to a self-improvement kind of class because I love to learn new things.

Throughout my life, I've made mostly "fun" cakes. I've done a vacuum cleaner, a pizza, a shopping mall, and Aladdin's castle, but I'd never done "pretty" cakes with flowers and such. So, yesterday I did my first "pretty" cake. I first made 43 roses of different sizes out of fondant, then assembled the cake. It was a feeling of satisfaction.

Today, I disassembled the cake and redid it in the style of the wedding cake I'll be doing then had a tasting party. Again, I learned a lot. The wedding is in 2 weeks. I'm sure my husband and my blog will be among the first to see if I'm able to apply the new skills. Of course, there will also be a couple hundred of his boss' closest friends! Arghhh! Thanks, Romney!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheryl the roses on the cake are really beautiful...good job.

Heather said...

That looks great! Did you take a picture of it in Katie's "wedding style"?

Gary Hatch said...

I heard that it tasted pretty good--at least the practice one did.

Romney said...

I will fully take the blame for your up and coming career in wedding cakes! But I have to say I I still haven't found a cake that looked or tasted better than mine! You're very talented!