Sunday, August 12, 2007

Of brain surgery.....

This morning before church, I picked up my scriptures to read a little. Out of the front a few papers fell out. One of them was the funeral program for my good friend Celia Horne whose funeral was exactly one year ago today. She died due to complications from brain surgery. She was 42 years old. I think of her frequently. I often ask her for help in my daily life since I figure she's got a greater perspective these days. I miss her a lot.

I've thought a lot about brain surgery this week. The husband of another of my best friends was diagnosed this last week with an inoperable brain tumor. They plan to do surgery soon to go in and get some of the tumor to do a biopsy. Then they'll decide what kind of chemotherapy and/or radiation to do. I've been sad all week. It's so surreal some days to think how easily a family's life can be completely upended.

Evan is the fourth person in our neighborhood to have brain surgery. Counting Celia, I'm up to five friends I know personally who have had or will have an operation on their brains. That seems like a large number to me. Maybe if you're reading this, you should stop being my friend!

Seriously, it does seem like a high number. Now I just have to hope and pray for my friend as he faces this. I have to be in tune to my friend's needs and try to help her and the kids. It's going to be a long haul no matter what happens. And it's times like these that I have to really turn to a loving Heavenly Father and plead for peace. I trust that he understands more than I do. He doesn't want to bring us pain, but I know he's got a greater perspective and somehow it will all be all right. At a minimum, he'll for sure provide peace. I have another friend who has suffered an unbelievable number of things in her life. Someone once asked her how she can believe in God after all she's been through. Her response was simply, "After all I've been through, how can I get through a day without believing in God." I'm with her -- and may that God bless Evan.

No comments: