Thursday, May 1, 2008

A few things I've learned this week

On Tuesday I had lunch with some good friends. One of them talked about something her mom always used to say about whenever you hear of bad news in the world, you can always find good news in all the people who are trying to make it better. I loved that idea. So, I'm looking back on my last couple of days and trying to apply that. I thought I'd mention a few things I've learned, both good and bad.

  • If you have a laundry emergency on a Saturday night (like a cat peeing on your down comforter that's too big for your washer), you'd better have the crisis before 8 p.m. or the laundromats are all closed. (But there are good friends who will offer to come sit with you at the laundromat if you had been able to go at 10 p.m.)
  • I really am getting older. (It's possible to have good friends for a lot of years. On Tuesday I had lunch with a group of 5 women who've been meeting for each of our birthdays for about 12 years now. I hope we still meet when we're in our sixties!)
  • Even really good contractors slow down at the end and do pesky things that make you crazy and hold up the finishing of a job! (But it means that we don't have to write that final check before our ship comes in with that "economic stimulus" check!)
  • When an 8 year old girl slams her finger in a car door, it can cause lots of bleeding and almost unstoppable crying. (But former ER nurse neighbors are sometimes willing to come over and help care for injuries without asking for pay.)
  • ER nurses recommend putting a hole in a fingernail with blood building up under it by using a fiery hot paper clip. (But some ER nurses are very large, strong men who can help it happen.)
  • The prices of food, toiletries, and household goods continue to go up. (But Big Lots continues to offer some great deals on cereal, snacks, and household goods - just a little consumer tip!)

1 comment:

AnneMarie said...

I so happy to have been part of what you learned this week. I hope we still get together for lunch when we're in our 80's!!