Thursday, May 15, 2008

Phone calls

I’ve often said that I want to just log my phone calls for a week and then write a book about it. Let me share a log for one day this week:

7:15 a.m. - My neighbor called because her washer died and she needed some clothes finished before she left town today. No problem, I can help with laundry.
8:45 a.m. - My friend called from Korea. Our mutual friend has a nephew who is going to college in Utah. They hadn’t had contact with him for four days, which is highly unusual and his phone number had been disconnected. She wondered if I could to go to his house in Provo and find him or leave a note on his door to phone home. We talked about options and decided to wait until tonight to decide if I should really go. Lucky me, he called home later today!
Afternoon - Another neighbor called to borrow our truck (fortunately, she’s taking our weeds with her to the green waste dump!)
10:30 p.m. -- A different neighbor called because between 9 and 10 both her sister and her husband’s brother each had a crisis for which they needed help. That meant she needed someone to sit at her house with her kids. (I’m happy to do it, partly because I adore her, and partly because it will give me some time to read the book I am reading for a book club I attend.

None of these rival the all-time classic phone call when I was called to share a recipe with my friend's mom because she and her ichthyologist husband wanted to make it when the King of Egypt came for dinner. Okay, she admitted, he wasn't the actual king, but he should've been had family politics not gottten in the way!

I'll keep track of this week's calls in case there are some more beauties!

5 comments:

Heather said...

What's an ichthyologist and what business did he have with the deposed King of Egypt?

ColleenDown said...

So why am I having such a hard time reaching you. Is my life just not exciting enough to rate a blog today?

Cheryl said...

An ichthyologist is a scientist who studies fish. He's spent a lot of time in Egypt helping with some studies of Egyptian fish, I guess!

And, Colleen, your life is absolutely exciting, you just didn't call me the day I recorded. Check another day and see if you appear on the log!

AnneMarie said...

This must have been a slow phone day at your house--at least half the time I call you, I get a busy signal on the first try! Guess you're just popular!

HAW said...

Lucky for you the crisis was averted, but I do feel rather privileged to know that I made it on to the log that day. Of course, I must apologize to Colleen, I know you are far more consistent than I in contacting Cheryl, but maybe if you lived in a far off country and lost the nephew of a friend you too would be recorded among the exciting calls of the day!