Monday, March 16, 2009

Random Musings

It's time. I've neglected my electronic life for far too long. I wish you all could have read the amazing blog entries that were scripted in my mind that never made it out to cyberspace. They were good! But, alas, you will have to settle for a few random musings about life as I pull them out of my head and drop them in here.

I'll start by saying that the past 4-6 weeks have qualified overall as a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad month. (For anyone who hasn't read the book, I'd like to recommend Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.) I won't bore you with the details, but it's been less than stellar. Like Alexander in the book, I considered moving to Australia, but then I remembered that some months are like that -- even in Australia. Plan foiled. Since I won't be moving, I guess I'd better pull myself up by the bootstraps and keep going. And though there will still be lots of unfortunate and fortunate moments, I hope I end up with more fortunate ones.

Unfortunately, I learned that excessive stress (see item above) really does cause shingles. Fortunately, I only broke out in a small area, but it's been annoying enough that I can imagine how awful a large breakout would be. If there are any of my 3-4 readers who have had them in the past, I now have some serious empathy for you.

Sundance ski resort's cross-country trails are awesome! A sunny day makes them incredible. Fun friends to ski with make it even better.

I bought a coffee maker recently. This is not a job that should be left to an ignorant mormon girl. I can only hope I chose the right features for my future houseguests.

The American Fork Junior High Wind Ensemble does not play like any junior high band I've ever heard. Apparently they really were practicing on all those days when Daniel had to be there for hours. I'm still not sure I agree with that kind of pressure at this age, but the end results are pretty unbelievable. We expect to get a DVD of their performance soon. It may make an appearance on this page.

Spring is in the air. Woo hoo!!!

It is possible for more than 1,000 people to crowd into Noah's. It happened last Friday for some national broadcast by Glenn Beck. I've never heard him speak, but it was cool to see pictures of that many people gathered.

Cheyenne learned to do a figure 8 on her bike in our cul-de-sac. It was impressive, but then I asked who taught her how to do it. It was none other than our former Bishop who brought her home the other day and did donuts and figure 8s with his van in our cul-de-sac. Gotta love her skills of observation.

I recently compiled pictures of all the cakes I've decorated since I started at age 8. I'm a couple short of 100. Fortunately, they've gotten better since I was 8.

We had our second annual (sort of) Harvest Open House at the end of February. It's a very fortunate thing that Dale makes such good bread. He's the best.

That's about enough musing for now. I'll muse some more soon.

4 comments:

jessica&john.com said...

I want to see all the pictures of the cakes. Please share!

cathyg said...

Sorry you had a bad month! Those do come along, unfortunately! I want to see this book of cakes! I had no idea you started at 8! I am sure I didn't cook anything at 8! I do remember trying to pop popcorn and being afraid to turn it over into the bowl so it just burned and Dad woke up and thought the house was on fire! Maybe that's why no one let me cook! (Maybe you didn't put the pictures in a "book" however you compiled them I want to see!

Dave said...

Ah yes, I know all about those well-composed head blogs. February is rough enough, but throwing in shingles too? I hope that a new season brings better luck.

Pattie said...

Even more reason to be delighted that January and February are getting further and further behind us now. Yay for spring! As long as your new coffeemaker brews coffee, your guests will be happy. If you need some good coffee, let me know and I'll send some over (because, sadly, I am an addict).