Thursday, April 23, 2009

Today's Word of the Day -- Decomposition

So, I spent most of my day today doing yard work. It was time to mow for the first time, then I spent a couple hours pulling weeds. While weeding, I ran across at least a hundred earthworms - they are decomposers, you know. After I finished the weeding, I picked up a cubic yard of compost and put it in the garden.

This afternoon one of my tutoring students came for help with geometry. He showed me that today's homework was from a chapter titled Vector Decomposition (no lie!), and he didn't understand it. That was fun!

Then just before dinner, Cheyenne delivered the "very sad news" that her pet goldfish Dorothy had died. Her dinner insights were as follows. "It's okay, she's gonna go to fish heaven....that's the toilet, you know." After dinner, she gathered us in the bathroom for the official flushing. She gave her tribute, then asked, "Do you have anything you'd like to say, Dad?" Dad offered a thought. "Do you have something to say, Mom?" I gave the concluding remarks. Flush! And so the decomposition begins.

And now for the serious thought of the day:

After weeding, I was driving our groovy 1984 pickup to get the compost. I was looking pretty scary in my sloppy t-shirt and exercise pants that were now dirty. I noticed my hands were stained from the dirt and mud I had been digging in. It made me think about the whole process of Spring and new birth. It occurred to me that new birth, growth and progress are sometimes messy events. I realized that in order to get the beautiful flowers of spring, you have to get your hands dirty and you might get a splinter or two. To get the lush green grass to enjoy in your bare feet, you have to cut down the grass on a regular basis. And to get new blossoms and stronger branches, you have to prune the trees.

Everything about the thought process made me think of life and the ups and downs that come along with each of our lives. Sometimes life is messy. Sometimes we're covered in dirt or mud, or even someone/something else's decomposing material. Sometimes we get cut back, but we might be a little lusher when it's over. And haven't we all been pruned once or twice? Let's hope we come out a little prettier, fuller, and stronger because of it. And in the meantime, may we all just enjoy the spring!

5 comments:

Samson said...

I love this Post! It is so great. It reminds me of our discussion about the seasons we had the other weekend , only you summed spring up so well! Thank you, it brightened my day.

ColleenDown said...

I have thought for two days about a funny comment for the word--decomposition. The only word I could think of got me banned from the last site I visited. I am with you though--Thank goodness for the seasons. Hopefully, Spring will return again this week.

Dale said...

Specifically, Cheyenne called the toilet a "gateway" to fish heaven.

cathyg said...

I just want to be the one pruning, not being pruned! :) but only on plants! I am scared enough to do that wrong so I would never want to try and "prune" someone else, although I am sure I have been guilty of that, too! Great post, sorry I missed the funneral...maybe it will prepare Cheyenne for future funerals when she takes over the duties of us three when we are the ones passing on! Does everyday of your life have a word theme???

The Wright Family said...

Cheryl- Way to wax philisophical on me. I really enjoyed the read-