Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day in the Land of Imagination

Today's blog is pretty self-indulgent. I am among millions celebrating Mother's Day today with mothers and children participating in a mutual admiration society. All children should think their mothers are the best and mothers think the same of their children. I have no intention of arguing with that. However, I'll go on record to say that I think I got the most original gifts! Surely there are few surprised by that. The whole day has been so nice - a beautiful yogurt parfait for breakfast, chocolate as a gift at church (Daniel even made sure I got the dark stuff), a lunch/dinner that I didn't have to think up or prepare, and even a nap in the sunroom. Then came the gifts. Sweet Cheyenne started with a cute card and great family portrait -- one of her original works. I love the hair! Notice that only Dale was painted with gray hair!

That was followed by a fun small LED flashlight for my purse. She was most excited about the wrapping which included paper, bows, tissue paper, and four increasingly large gift bags!
Then came Daniel. His package was wrapped in silver paper then turned into a robot. I knew it would be a treat. The rest of the package came in steps. I've recorded the pictures to present it just as I saw it!

Yes, that's a box wrapped in duct tape. When I opened it, I saw this.And underneath the paper --
It's a little tough to see all the detail, but next to the rake and shovel (of course made from popsicle sticks and hot glue) is a small sign to post in the 'garden' when I plant it. It has an ear drawn on it.

But wait - there's more! The next box --

Once opened, I saw this cage with an egg in it. It says "Grow your own garden dragon." "For the Fair Maiden in your life." The scroll to the right gives growing instructions.
"Brave Knight not included" but the egg contains Snap Dragon seeds.
It's always an adventure at our house. And now I'm off to go eat the homemade bread and garlic relish that Dale prepared for tonight. I love Mother's Day!!!

5 comments:

ColleenDown said...

Their imagination never fails to amaze me. I think that I will be seeing these on all the shelves next year. I wonder how much money the "pet rock" inventor made? I predict the big bucks are in your future.

Dave said...

You'll have to let me know how those ears work out. I may need to place an order. Really, who thinks of those things.

Darcee said...

Send Daniel over. . . I have something he just may want! (really)

Glad you had a great mother's day!

Laura said...

Impressive! I love their creativity! They put a lot of time and thought into their gifts.

And we really enjoyed having Cheyanne over tonight. She was sweet and the boys had fun playing with her.

Suzanne said...

I found you through Laura! And I just have to say that you and Dale provide an amazing environment to grow those two kids! You have to love gifts like that. You know how they always say to young girls that you should watch how a guy treats his mom to know how he'd treat you as a wife? Daniel is going to make someone awfully lucky someday!