Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Have you ever wanted to go to Kanosh? Yes!!

We recently went to my mom's to help her move into her new house (Hooray!). On our way home, traveling north on I-15, Dale said, "Have you ever wanted to just get off the interstate and go see what Kanosh is like?" I replied, "Yes! I think about it every time we drive up and down this same route." I added that I've always wanted to take the Lamb's Canyon exit on the way to Parley's Summit. The point is that we drive the same route over and over, but we rarely get off that route to see what else is out there. With that conversation as the impetus, we've decided to "go see Kanosh" and other places like it throughout this year.

As luck would have it, the next weekend was a three day weekend and the perfect opportunity to begin our quest. So, on a snowy Monday morning, we loaded up the kids and headed west!

The plan was to start our day at Lehi Bakery (home of the legendary square donuts). Obviously we did not know that Lehi Bakery is closed every Monday!

That's okay, Smith's in Saratoga Springs sells donut holes - crisis averted!

The drive took us past Eagle Mountain to Cedar Fort and Fairfield (cool old school building).

Through Faust and on to Vernon. Dale remembered stopping at small convenience store/diner 25 years ago on the way to fight a forest fire. Wow, it's still there!

What a great place -- convenience store snacks and everything to field dress a deer all in one place. But that's not all, there's still a diner there too.

Sadly, we're still full from the donut holes! The nice ladies there let Cheyenne pet the search and rescue dogs, and they direct us to a nearby quarry to collect Vernon wonder stones. The kids loved it.


Next we toured the big towns of Eureka, Genola, and Goshen as we we approached our lunch destination of Santaquin. We'd heard good things about the scones at The Family Tree restaurant. Good things - but we were not aware the scones are about 18" long and 4-5" wide. We'd go again, but we'd probably order half as much food.

For a half day tour, a good time was had by all, and small town Utah is a little less mysterious. We can't wait for our next excursion -- we welcome recommendations!

6 comments:

cathyg said...

What are you doing up at 5:00am??? The trip sounds awesome and those scones looked like a whole loaf of bread! Here's to more sightseeing this year!

ColleenDown said...

I'm with Cathy--5:00a.m. Is that what working women do before they start their day--blog? I too have wondered about Goshen. This reminds me of a few "sidetrips" that Mom and Dad used to make when we were little. It must be genetic. Keep us posted. Until the fog lifts-I refuse to leave my chair.

Heather said...

I've always wanted to drive up Lambs's canyon too, but my family is not much for drives. When ever I read the names of small Utah towns I imagine Doug Miller, the outdoor guy, saying them.

Romney said...

What a fun little trip!! The scone is ginormous and I think those stones are the coolest rocks I've ever seen!

Beckstrand7 said...

Been there - my grandfather is FROM Kanosh. Small world, huh.

Pattie said...

I love these types of excursions, but I admit that we have not done a little "get to know Utah" drive in many years. Perhaps this is something I will have to do in the coming weekends.