Thursday, January 28, 2010

This one takes the cake!

Conversation with Daniel upon returning home from school recently:

Daniel: I don't know why, but I suddenly have this strong desire to make a cake.

Cheryl: Whatever. As your mom, I'm never going to tell you 'no' to making a cake. You figure it out.

An hour or so later he was busily making a yellow cake from scratch while I was tutoring math. "Keep up the good work, son."

Next time I checked, he was in the middle of a masterpiece. It's always grandiose with Daniel - there's not much middle ground. So, here is the final product. And it tasted as good as it looked. As a cake-baking mother I am beaming with pride! As the baker, Daniel says he already knows how to improve it, and he'll be trying again soon. Can't wait!

6 comments:

ColleenDown said...

As always--so amazing. I have no idea how he did that!

jessica&john.com said...

What a cake making rock star! Looks like it runs in the family. I wish I got the baking gene. Last night I made banana bread w/o the bananas, not such a good idea.

jessica&john.com said...

p.s. the cake reminds me of Superman.

Cheryl said...

Colleen, I can tell you how he did it if you ever really want to know! And like I said, he already knows how to improve it next time, so we'll wait and see.

Heather said...

You say "it tasted as good as it looked," but I'm not sure what that means. It is visually stunning, for sure, but I am wary of a cake the color of spinach, windex, and motor oil.

Just kidding, I'm sure it was delicious.

cathyg said...

Way to go Daniel! You can't ever know how to cook too well! Bake us a cake anytime!