Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What happened to January?

I'm shocked that it's really been that long since I last blogged! Apparently, I've made better use of my January this year than in years past. Here it is, nearly the end of January, and I'm making it through okay. Don't interpret that as being thrilled about the snow, ice, and cold, but I'm okay. I will repeat that cross country skiing has changed my life. It's still amazing to me how a few hours in the sun having a great workout and good conversation with friends can make the weeks speed by. Thanks to everyone who has let me tag along this year as I've found new and exciting places to go skiing. It's been really fun.Then last Monday when my kids were out of school for Martin Luther King day, we went to Colleen's cabin and did all those snow things I haven't done for years (in some cases, decades). We sledded down her road (and climbed up again and went down again, and so on and so on). Then Colleen and I did a little midafternoon skiing on some pretty icy areas. Then I got to go snowmobiling! I haven't done that for about 16 years. I was just sad that no one could hear me "woo-hooing" except me inside my helmet!

Of course, I spent some time watching the Inauguration, mostly because I still think it's a pretty miraculous thing to see a consistent peaceful transfer of power in this great nation. Beyond that, I can't say as I've become an Obama groupie. My favorite commentator line of the day, though, came from my clever 13 year old son who came home from school, saw the coverage on TV and said, "Oh, this is the inauguration of the first halfrican (rhymes with African) American president, right?" He says that term just came to him because it seemed so descriptive.

And, I've enjoyed a little good ol' January reading time. All in all, it's been okay. But lest I sound a little too comfortable, I will confess that we are leaving tomorrow for a five day trip to Disneyland where the forecasts show a couple of bright and sunny 75+ degree days at the Happiest Place on Earth. I'm liking January more and more every day!

The pictures are just for the fun of sharing a little piece of my January. You may want to click on the ones with the big snow crystals 'cause they are pretty amazing when they are bigger. Enjoy, and watch for future posts about sunny, southern California!

5 comments:

Heather said...

I agree, January is so much more bearable spent outside moving. Happy vacationing!

jessica&john.com said...

I am glad everyone is as passionate about winter as I am. Finding a winter sport you love really does do the trick. Have fun in the happiest place on earth! Can't wait to see pictures.

Pattie said...

Have fun at Disneyland. We head there in a week and a half for Ella's birthday! Can't wait for some short sleeved weather!

cathyg said...

First can I say, how do you blog just before you go on a five day vacation??? You must be efficient! Secondly, I love the pictures of the snow! Glad we discovered cross country too! We'll go again when you get back! Have fun!

ColleenDown said...

So Cathy, how do you comment on blogs before you go on vacation? Anyway it is nice to see a positive spin on this freezing, dark, cold month. Five more days until groundhog day:-)