Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween dress up

One of the things I love about Halloween is how it brings out people's interests and personalities. This year made some statements, but I'll leave it to the reader to determine what those statements were! It will come as no surprise that Cheyenne really wanted to be a dog. We went with the beagle breed 'cause those are cute and the costume required fewer spots to be sewn on than a dalmation might have! She chose her own name for her tag (Cheydo - rhymes with Fido) and she made Dale lead her on a leash when she went trick or treating. She was a happy dog.

Daniel chose to be Frodo the hobbit from The Lord of the Rings. As you may know, a main characteristic of hobbits is large, very hairy feet. He naturally had the large feet - we just helped with the hairy! It was worth doing 'cause every time I looked at him, I laughed. I felt a little badly dropping him off at school with flip flops on while it was snowing outside, but he didn't care.


(Oh, and I simply must thank McDonalds for creating a Happy Meal toy of the cowardly lion from The Wizard of Oz. It had the perfect hair that when yanked out could be glued to a teenager's feet!)

Dale and I didn't choose our own outfits, but they were chosen for us. My sweet niece Heather and her husband took on a large project in planning a full blown Hogwarts party for their own kids and the rest of the kids in the neighborhood! We were recruited to be Professor Trelawney (the Divinations teacher) and Professor Snape (the Potions teacher). They tell me I was a natural choice for Professor Trelawney. I think it's simply because I didn't have to buy a wig. I already had the hair. In case you're wondering, Dale needed a wig!


I'm including pics of us in our costumes along with a few others to give you a feel for the whole event. It included Diagon Alley, a ride in the Hogwarts Express (a ride from the backyard to the driveway in the back of a pickup), Sorting (a two way radio under a stool can fool a lot of the children a lot of the time!), Care of Magical Creatures (chasing chickens outside), etc., etc. It was great fun!
Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall (aka Heather and Dave)
Mad Eye Moody and Professor Dumbledore (Heather's neighbor and Dave)

Mr. Ollivander (the wand salesman) and a random Hogwarts student (My sister Cathy and her husband Clark)
Professor Sprout (aka my sister Colleen)

And in the midst of our preparations, I think we found the perfect costume for next year as well. I think Dale will be Cher and I will be Sonny!!!

8 comments:

ColleenDown said...

I have been waiting all weekend for someone to post something. Thanks for being the family historian. Dale still wins the prize!!

jessica&john.com said...

Your costumes ROCK!!! You guys are my Halloween role models. And I love the Lady and the Tramp b-day party!

Samson said...

Amen to everything Jessica said... ha ha reading your blog was so refreshing.

AnneMarie said...

Great costumes!! Everyone looked awesome--I'm sure fun was had by all

J Shepherd Family said...

You guys look awesome! I love having such creative friends!

Michelle Wilkes said...

Hi, I'm Dave's sister. It was great to FINALLY see pictures from the Hogwarts party! Will you come be Prof. Trelawney and Snape at my party next year? You guys look great!

Suzanne said...

Wow. Amazing how people in your family can dress up and look like the REAL THING. I love it that Cheyenne insisted on being lead around on a leash. If Drew wants to be a dog yet again next year, we might have to try that:).

Laura said...

You and Dale looked awesome. You absolutely looked the part. It makes me want to have our own AZ Hogwarts night . . .

Loved the dog and the hobbit! Totally the best costumes.