Thursday, December 29, 2011

August - End of Summer, but New Beginnings

In some ways, you may consider August the end of summer.  For me, it was a beginning of sorts.  August was the beginning of a three month period of nonstop motion.  I began a series of trip after trip.  I began a new role as the Young Women president in my church congregation (the leader of the young women from 12 to 18, of which we have about 40).  It was the beginning of major harvesting from our garden.  And, of course, school began for my kids, which means math tutoring began for me.  Yeah, I guess it was the end of summer.....

My first photographic documentation of the month has nothing to do with everything I just said, but they are great pictures.  First, this was one day of Daniel's Saturdough business.  Normally, he doesn't do this much bread, but he did on this day, and I thought it looked pretty cool.
 For a school project last year, Daniel made this sculpture that he called "Face Plant."  My friend Heather liked it so much that she commissioned him to make one for her.  Before she took hers home, we thought they should pose together.  They make me smile!
 Now, on to those beginnings.  Our first trip of the three month period of travel was a major road trip with the family.  We went from Utah to Wyoming to Nebraska, to South Dakota to North Dakota to Montana to Wyoming to Idaho and back to Utah.  It was awesome!  I could never cover the entirety of the trip in a blog like this, but I can show you a few snippets.  I loved all that we saw.  And I loved doing it with my family.  We did 8 days, 7 states, lots of hours in the car, and we still liked each other.  Success!
Our first stop was at Martin's Cove in Wyoming.  This was an historical site associated with the pioneers who came to Utah pulling handcarts.  
 Part of the reason we hit South Dakota was to see Mount Rushmore.  We thought it was really interesting. And the Black Hills area around it was beautiful.  
Near Mount Rushmore, we had the chance to go on a cave tour that was somewhat adventurous and used only hand held lanterns for light.  We still got to walk, though, with only an occasional need to duck.  They offered another, more adventurous tour.  In order to see if you could do it, they had a sample space for you to crawl through.  It was 8 inches high and 24 inches wide.  If that didn't bother you, the spelunking tour awaited........we didn't go!


While in South Dakota, we journeyed to the Badlands.  I imagine as a frontiersman, they were really bad.  I can't fathom how difficult it would have been to traverse them, find food, etc.  However, as a 16 year old boy who loves to climb on rocks, they were bad, sick, legit, or whatever other adjective you might use to convey the idea that they were fun, fascinating, beautiful, and adventurous!

 After a brief stop in Sturgis (home of the world-famous Harley-Davidson rally), we headed to North Dakota.  We saw miles and miles of sunflowers, then we saw a few miles of gigantic sculptures.  I wish I could show them all, but looking at this humongous Pheasant gives you some pause.  (Note that I am standing in the bottom left corner in case you need size perspective!)
 And we toured the North Dakota version of the badlands.  Not as rough and stark as their southern neighbors, but very scenic.

 In Cody, Wyoming, the highlight for all was the Buffalo Bill Cody museum complex.  As you may recall, in June we attended the Wild, Wild West show which gave us a little glimpse into Buffalo Bill.  That was nothing compared to this museum.  I loved the historical part.  Dale loved the art.  Cheyenne loved the Indian exhibit that highlighted the Cheyenne indians.  And Daniel thought he'd died and gone to heaven when he hit the firearms exhibit.  
 Cheyenne with Buffalo Bill himself at the scene of the gunfight in the street!
 Our trip would not have been complete without Yellowstone.  What an amazing, amazing place!  

 When we returned, the harvest was in full swing.  Thanks, Dale, for ensuring each year that we have a display like this!!
 Oh yeah, and then that dang school started.  We got a picture of Cheyenne on her first day of 6th grade.  I think when you're a junior in high school, that picture on the first day just isn't so cool (or bad or legit or whatever!)

3 comments:

jessica&john.com said...

My mouth is watering for Daniel's bread and Dale's veggies, and my heart is longing to see the beautiful sights you saw this summer. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your vacation...and your taste-buds.

ColleenDown said...

And I thought maybe you didn't have vacation pictures--you have a whole album!! Since It will probably be many years before I get to North or South Dakota it was fun seeing what I am missing. Something so fitting about seeing Cheyenne and Buffalo Bill standing together!

Heather said...

A north-easterly trip is now on my bucket list. I want to see more pictures. Those birds are astounding.