Wednesday, December 28, 2011

June Adventures - Mixed with School

June, June, June.  It was finally summer which made me very happy.  However, June was still marked primarily by school.  Both of the kids attended Summer school.  Daniel wanted to take a PE class and Drivers Ed in the small intimate classes of the summer.  Cheyenne was invited to attend a special ed school.  And so, they "got out of school" on a Friday, but started again the following Monday!  Both were great opportunities, but it meant a whole lotta driving for mom to schools in three different cities.  Interspersed with school, though, we managed to keep the adventurous spirit alive!

We began the month with the first annual Wild, Wild West show in Spanish Fork.  Of course, they spelled the name wrong in the show title, but otherwise it was fun.  It was a modern day version of Buffalo Bill Cody's old time show.  Going to this show came in handy later in the summer when we went to Buffalo Bill's museum in Cody, WY, as we now had a point of reference.  And, of course, Cheyenne was in her element!
 The next big event of the month was undoubtedly Daniel's 16th Birthday.  He celebrated with friends by playing lots of laser tag and enjoying his very own driver license cake - the first I've ever done for my own child!
That was followed by the delivery of "the doll" for his birthday.  She'd been transformed into the Statue of Liberty by Kelsie's family who was living the next day for a family vacation to NYC.  This has to be one of the best costumes yet. Her 'book' said, "Give me your tired, your hungry, your 16 year olds yearning to eat Oreos..."
 On the actual day, our family spent the day doing 16 things that Daniel loves to do.  We ate things he liked.  We played things he liked. And we acted silly like him!
We built things with Legos.
We made faces in the mirror (something he can still do for extended periods of time in the morning).
 And as one of the highlights, we used various methods to destroy the cute gingerbread house we'd made months before.  It was a cute little house made of individual gingerbread bricks and it included a fireplace.  The destruction began with a gunpowder-fueled fire in the chimney.
Followed by shooting with an air soft pistol and a bb gun to take out the candy windows.
Followed by more fire, then ultimate destruction with Daniel's Samurai sword.  
The night was topped off with a chocolate silk pie complete with a sparkler candle.  The whole day was very Daniel-ish!

Days later we celebrated Father's Day.  I needed to include a picture of Dale's meal so everyone knows that I cooked for him just as he had done for me on Mother's Day.  Same plate -- different meal!

 And then the month was capped off with yet another Derby Girl adventure.  This time we headed to St. George for our annual getaway.  Cheyenne got to go for the first time, and we had a great time.  As you can imagine, it involved a lot of good eating (Colleen, I apologize for the picture, but it's the only one I had of good food), some swimming, attending a play at Tuacahn Amphitheater......
 And it also involved the now infamous Pajama Fashion Show which I won with this stunning number!
(Fortunately for me, I was able to lose the weight by the next day when I had to don a swimsuit!)
The party was a great time, and I can't wait until next year's getaway.

2 comments:

ColleenDown said...

Well it could have been worse, you could have tagged that picture of me on FaceBook, instead it is on your blog anonymously! Fun seeing Daniel's cake, I never saw the finished product.

jessica&john.com said...

I am in heaven catching up on your year in review. You have really packed it in. My words can not express how much your family inspires me. You live life to the fullest...and the funnest. Thanks for posting. I am reading every word.
P.S. Love the doll, drivers license cake, and the idea for Daniels b-day!