Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I must have eaten too much sushi

For anyone who doesn't know, I have had an underactive thyroid for many years. It's not a big deal, it just means I take synthroid daily. Well, over the last month, I've had a couple of blood tests done that showed my thyroid is a little out of whack. Yesterday, I had a doctor's appointment and he officially diagnosed me with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Those are both big words. "Itis" mean enlarged, of course, and with the Hashimoto part, it made me wonder if that meant my neck was enlarged from swallowing a large piece of sushi. But, thanks to the internet, I discovered that's not the case. It continues to not be a big deal. Mostly, it just means they have to check my blood a little more often and adjust the dosage occasionally. And, fortunately, I can still eat all the sushi I want.

However, I'd like to milk this a little bit. Some of the symptoms include sensitivity to cold. Hmm, has anyone been around me lately, like at church where I've occasionally resorted to taking disposable hand warmers to accompany my sweater/coat? It also causes fatigue. Hmm, doesn't sleep apnea, being Cheyenne's and Daniel's mom, and nearly everything else in my life cause fatigue??? I think I might use it for a good excuse when exercising is hard, though. Oh, and it has been known to affect fertility. Enough said.

4 comments:

Heather said...

If you're going to milk it, I say go all the way! It sounds to me like the only cure is a restful vacation to a tropical locale. And as it is a medical condition maybe your insurance can pay for it.

Heather said...

And since it is my duty as a good Christian to visit the sick and afflicted I had better come with you.

AnneMarie said...

Heather's right-- You guys should come with us to Hawaii!

kelison said...

heather and annemarie are both right. I'm coming too. I have to make sure you shimmer, not sparkle.