Thursday, September 4, 2008

Sisters Hiking


The adventuring just never ends....  Last weekend began with a Friday hike to the top of Mt. Timpanogos with my sisters.  It's tough to say what the motivation was for this one.  It's been 23 years or so since I last did it, and I think about as long for Cathy.   It's only been 2 for Colleen.  She's the one I question the most since she knew what she was getting into.  For those familiar with the routes, we went up on the Aspen Grove trail which begins in Provo Canyon.  We came down on the Timpanooeke trail which ends up in American Fork Canyon.  It was fun to do both trails because they have really different scenery (and because we got to see them both on what may be our last hike up that mountain!).  Partly I think we did it because we can.  The three of us are always trying to push each other a little to stay healthy and active.  We wanted to be the 40-something women showing our kids we can still do it.  And partly we did it because it's beautiful.  It's tough to describe all the waterfalls, all the vistas, just the beauty of the mountains.  If you're interested, click here to see an album of the pictures I took on the trail.

Our route took us over about 14 miles and up and down about 3,500 feet.   The mountain is about 11,000 feet high, but the trailheads are high as well.  We were gone for about 11.5 hours, with 1.5 of that spent resting for lunch and observation at the top.  Overall, I was pretty darn proud of all of us!

Thanks, Cathy and Colleen, for a fun day and awesome travel companions!  I hope we can always enjoy times like this together.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cool.

Heather said...

I'll be surprised if that's really your last time doing it. You three will be like the seventy year old ladies we met on my first hike to the summit who climb it every year.

jessica&john.com said...

I am jealous! You need to do it again so I can go with you. I've never been down the Timpanooke way. The campground is gorgeous!

Romney said...

I'm so impressed with you guys! I've done that hike and like you said although it's pretty, it's not easy! Way to go!

ColleenDown said...

We did it!! And we'll do it again as soon as my sunburn heals and we forget how bad our legs hurt.