Friday, September 19, 2008

Sisters' Try-athlon

Let me begin by saying that my sister Cathy is a rock! Some time ago, she decided she'd like to try doing a triathlon. However, she wasn't sure she wanted to get a bunch of expensive equipment or buy cool triathlon clothes, etc. She wanted to just "try" it. So, we sort of planned a sisters' try-athlon (my term, not hers). She and I trained throughout the summer, but clearly she trained more intensely. I was at a bit of a handicap with no pool, but she practiced pretty faithfully. So, today was the big day. She swam a full 1/2 mile in her pool. That's 84 lengths of her backyard pool! You go, girl! I swam 28 just to support her and have wet hair with her. We then biked for about 10.2 miles. Then we ran/walked for 3.1 miles. We were pretty pleased with ourselves! And look, we were even smiling and looking good at the end.
Now, let me clarify that we didn't time ourselves changing clothes in the street -- we went in her house to change out of our swimsuits. We swam in a pool -- not open water. But we didn't bike with super cool light as a feather road bikes -- we used our mountain bikes. And we did this as novices, not as well-trained racing machines. We did it and we did it well for us!

As I was running, I was thinking about the fact that every day there are lots of people who exercise way, way more than we did today. However, I also thought that there are those who do less. The reality is that our experience was never about an absolute target. It wasn't about beating a bunch of other people (although Dale points out that I came in first in my age group and second overall.) It was about challenging ourselves, reaching a goal, seeing what we could do, seeing if we liked it, and spending time together. Without question, we reached our goal.

This was always primarily Cathy's goal -- and she did it so well! I'm so proud of her. But I want to publicly thank her for a whole lot of motivation this summer. I went on some beautiful bike rides with her, including the one we did today. I got out of bed and went running multiple times this summer, just because I knew I had to face her! I pushed myself, and I accomplished the task. After the fact, it's fun to say you did it. Oh, and I can eat dessert this weekend without one hint of guilt. Thanks, Cathy! And may we continue to stay active together! Love you!

7 comments:

Gary Hatch said...

I could do the 10 miles on the bike in a breeze. (Biking is my favorite activity.) And I'm pretty sure I could do the run (though not as fun). I couldn't swim 1/2 mile without some serious work (unless I could do the whole thing with elem backstroke). Actually, a triathlon can be any three "contests." So you could have watching movies, eating banana splits, and staying up late (which I would have to train for).

Cheryl said...

Dang! If only I'd checked the meaning of the word first, I could've saved myself some effort! But I can only schedule triathlons occasionally, so I'll try to schedule another one soon that will include you and your ideas.

AnneMarie said...

How about reading books, eating hot fudge sundaes (or maybe chocolate chip cookies), and staying up late? I'm probably about ready for these three "contests"

Anonymous said...

Thanks for doing it with me! I never would have finished without you! That was fun, we will have to think of something new to try!

Noreen said...

I am so proud of you Cheryl! I think it's great that you did it. If you guys want to have a ward Tri let Allen and I know, we will be there. Even if it reading books, eating hot fudge sundaes and staying up late. I may have to train for those but I think I'd enjoy it.

ColleenDown said...

Now I am jealous and after the weekend eat-a-thon I really must do something. Maybe next time we could do one like the marathon where we simply pass the baton to the next person for each event. However, Noreen's idea sounds pretty good too!

Romney said...

Like I told you guys the other day, I am SO impressed that you guys did it! I couldn't do one of those things by itself right now let alone all 3! Way to go!