Sunday, December 21, 2008

Early Christmas gift

I've never been the type to shop for myself at Christmas. I like the surprise of someone else picking gifts. However, this year, I did buy some cross country skis on a good sale and I told Dale to put them under the tree for Christmas. They were there until last Thursday when we got about 7 inches of snow. I felt compelled to try out my new "backcountry" skis in the "backyard." So, I handed Daniel the camera to document the moment for my blog. I stepped out of the garage onto the concrete pad for the maiden voyage of the skis. [Note: In the past couple of years of skiing, I think I've fallen twice or so. I've done okay.] I stepped to the top of the ramp (made of concrete, I might add) that goes to the backyard, and I went about 3 feet and fell hard! Daniel just snapped and laughed. My whole right side still knows I fell! After regaining my composure, if not my dignity, I continued skiing around the yard. After warming up, I went down the offending ramp two more times without incident. I've broken in my skis and my pride, so let the cross country season begin!!!!!!

2 comments:

cathyg said...

Way to go! You have the first snow fall out of the way, it will be a great season! Can't wait to join you!

jessica&john.com said...

Way fun present. That is so funny about your fall. I can ski black diamonds all day and not fall then I fall in the dumbest spots like the lift line or a bunny hill. I guess it keeps me humble. Merry Christmas!