Monday, December 15, 2008

The Spirit of Christmas

Last night I got to witness an evidence of the true spirit of Christmas. Let me start with a little background. Last year Cheyenne had the chance to go with her Activity Days group of girls to sing Christmas carols at a local nursing home. They were joining a group of high school students who sing there regularly. Actually it's the swim team whose coach takes them there every Sunday night to sing. Well, when they arrive, they first go to the rooms and get the residents who are more severely handicapped and need pushed in wheelchairs and such. The other 8 year old girls just wanted to wait, but Cheyenne wanted to go get the residents so a couple of high school boys invited her to join them. She happily went in and met a man who is not elderly, but is quite disabled. She chatted with him and pushed his wheelchair down the hall. She was so excited to tell me all about her new friend when she came home.

Fast forward to this year. She's now in a different group for Activity Days because she is a year older, but her old leader invited her to join them again this year. I decided to go along this time. She was so excited. When we got there, the leader invited her to be the only one to go again to get the residents. This time she got another person, but she was disappointed because she didn't see her friend. Soon after, he was pushed in. She ran up and grabbed his hand and said, "Hi, do you remember me?" He smiled and gave her a high five. I describe her as being like a therapy dog. She just bounds around in groups like that trying to spread joy. Then she came and stood by the swim coach to sing.

As I stood there singing with this group, I saw the following: I saw a group of about 12 teenage swimmers and a coach who come to this home every single week during the year to bring joy to these people. I saw a teenage boy at the piano who could and would play whatever song was requested. He was sharing a talent he'd worked hard to develop. I saw about 12-14 residents, mostly in wheelchairs, smiling and sometimes tapping to the beat. I saw a few of them who had family members sitting by their side as they had come to visit. I saw a swim coach who doesn't know Cheyenne, stand by her with her arm around her trying to help her read the words to the songs even though Cheyenne can't really do that. With each new song, she'd point out where to start and she'd try to help her along. I saw a leader of 8 year old girls who had made the arrangements to join the group, arranged rides for the girls, and made it possible for them to learn at a young age how to serve and be around people that are different. At the end of the singing, I saw those sweet little 8 year old girls go around and say hi and "Merry Christmas" to all the residents. Finally, I saw another group of people come in who were there to provide some music.

Everything about the experience touched my heart because I saw people reaching out to other people in whatever way they could. I guess it's because I could stand there and see such a broad range of mental and physical capacities among those present that I could recognize how lives were being touched. I think the Savior would have been happy had He been there -- in reality, He probably was there. I'm glad I was too.

And one other Christmas note, I must share that the Christmas tree picture at the top of this blog is the first Christmas tree I've ever actually decorated that was not just a tree with lights and all my old ornaments and my kids' ornaments. (Note: The picture didn't resize that well. Click on it to see a much better picture of it.) Each year, we do the same family tree because the ornaments have such sentimental meaning to me. This year, we put that tree in our new basement, and I wanted something festive upstairs. So, I channeled my inner Jessica to plan a tree and I used my outer Cheryl to buy everything inexpensively and I decorated a 4' tree for my living room. Thanks to my sisters and nieces for my inspiration. It makes me happy when I walk in the room!

5 comments:

jessica&john.com said...

Very uplifting Christmas story! When I'm an old lady, I want to live in that nursing home. Maybe Cheyenne will still be visiting and bringing Christmas cheer.
I love the tree. I am off to the grocery store so hopefully my inner Aunt Cheryl will come out so I can make a fantastic dinner meal for less.

cathyg said...

Way to go Cheryl. Remember how Elder Uchtdorf said creating something would bring you joy...or something like that...I know he said to create! I love the tree and I love the story! I, unlike Jessica, do not want to EVER live in a nursing home (big fear of mine!) but I too am glad for people who take the time to serve and bring joy to others! Way to go Cheyenne! She has such a great spirit about her! Sometimes I wish I was a fearless as she!

ColleenDown said...

Andy and I will have adjoining rooms and Cheyenne can come and sing to us. (She should still be in activities days at the rate I am going). I love the tree!!

Heather said...

I love how Christmas brings out the best in people. Your tree is beautiful too.

Laura said...

What a sweet story! I can just picture Cheyenne there wth her big smile. Love the tree!