Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Few Things I Have Learned Lately

Life and its inherent experiences never stop teaching us, but some weeks seem more full of new teachings than others. Actually, my summary here probably includes a couple of weeks, but that's because some of the things I learned this week didn't make for nearly as interesting of a blog!

#1 - One firecracker inserted into a small 4" high chocolate bunny (purchased from an Easter clearance sale specifically for this purpose) will blast it into tiny pieces that are shot approximately 20+ feet (confirmed by chocolate shrapnel hitting Grandma who was located a measured 20 feet away). I also learned that chocolate flying at high speed hurts at close range. Oh, and for the real nerds out there, if you slow the video down to a frame by frame view, you can learn that that fuse burned for 1.5 seconds, then it took 1/15 of a second for the explosion and the complete obliteration of the bunny. The moral is: Don't let your kids play with firecrackers!


#2 - Raspberries can mold overnight. That's right, lots of pricey, beautiful raspberries waiting for time the next day to make jam, can mold overnight. Check out the internet, there are lots of other stories out there to back me up on this one!


#3 - Mold is pretty fascinating when viewed through a microscope. And when you get to the cell view, they move around just like water.


#4 - If you find a dead moth on your front porch before your cat does, it's fun to look at it. For reference, the sticks are chopsticks. The moth had at least a 4 or 4.5 inch wingspan -- and it was fuzzy.



#5 - Microscopes are cool!


#6 - To date, there have been about 4 billion Lego minifigures (people) produced. Before long, there will be enough for every man, woman, and child on the earth. Hmmm. Some of those people are gonna be ticked that theirs are in Daniel's room!

#7 -The new recipe we tried for bagels was great!

6 comments:

Laura said...

You learned some cool things. And the bagels look delicious. I guess if the bunny had to go that's a cool way to do it, which makes me hope that we get invited to your fireworks show. . .

Darcee said...

*RUN* (don't walk!) to Red Balloon and get your family the game Killer Bunnies. The quirky humor in it fits your family to a 'T' (and it is a fun, fun game)! After all, you now have more actual experience killing bunnies than I do!

And unfortunately I experienced over night molding just today. . . only mine were blackberries. Pulled them out to put them in a salsa for Chan's birthday and met up with mold. (I didn't really need to know it moved around like that. Ewww.) Tom has been telling me for years how much they loved their microscope growing up. We've just never been willing to invest in a good one. (how are you photographing that anyway?)

Awesome post!

Darcee said...

Oh! Forgot to mention the Lego people! We've got way more than our quota at our house too. Cache got a huge kick out of your email. . . the 8 quadrillion combinations was a catchy tidbit . . .

cathyg said...

Show Daniel your blog and remind him of all the cool stuff you do WITH and FOR him while aunt Cathy is locked away in her scrapbooking room IGNORING her family! Great blog...you do cool stuff, too!! And I had moldy berries too! Glad I did do the first few batches of jam before the mold set in! Also, I missed the order for bagels, when will that make it to Daniel's order???

ColleenDown said...

I never have berries long enough to even think of making jam (I let Western Family and my sisters do that) We just eat them in the store. You know how I feel about microscopes and when I saw Daniel's lego's I was blown away--it may be the world's largest collection.

Kellie Hansen said...

I love the hollow bunny! You weren't joking than daniel knows his stuff about fireworks! that looks like so much fun!