Monday, June 15, 2009

Mid-life Finances

This week has been an interesting week in my shopping life as I wrestled with lots of decisions about updating Daniel's saxophone. You all know Dale and I are hyperanalytical when we are alone which makes us uberanalytical together! (Daniel loves to use "uber.") It's hard to pick something nice enough while trying to second guess what the next 4-8 years will bring for Daniel. I guess investing in an instrument that plays beautiful music can't be all bad, right? We can all benefit from that.

So, we did buy a new saxophone (and I will say it is beautiful in its looks and its sound). We did return his old rental one. I do thank all of you whom I surveyed to help me make these decisions.

These kinds of decisions and stressful weeks always bring out lots of deeply-held and deeply-questioned views of money. It's an interesting animal, isn't it? So needed, so wanted, so controlling, so confusing. To date, I've spent a lot of time studying money and thinking of its role in my life. Some days I feel more comfortable than others, but I'm sure I know more about myself and about money than I did 10 years ago, or 5 years ago, or last year.

I know I have young nieces and nephews who read my blog. If you ever want a few opinions about what I've learned about things like saxophone rentals or life insurance or retirement plans, I'd love to chat about it. I know it's all personal, but I sometimes wish I'd have had someone to give me a few more pointers when they weren't trying to sell me something. I'm always good for a discussion of these things, and I won't even be offended if you don't like my advice! At least it will have been free advice!

Bottom line -- we've been extraordinarily blessed, we currently have a job, we've been fortunate to land in a pretty good position at this mid-life point. I'm grateful for all the help and advice that got me here, but I'm still learning every day. It still makes my head hurt, so I hope they don't use money in Heaven. It'll be Heaven for me if my family is there, fresh peaches are free and always available, and we don't have to file taxes with itemized deductions!

6 comments:

ColleenDown said...

That is my idea of heaven too. But it will be interesting to see what job the accountants get there--counting stars?

cathyg said...

Clark could be in trouble if Heaven has a job market...if there is no need for accountants...and I am sure there is no need for life insurance! Money is a funny thing and there are all kinds of opinions available! The only part I am sure of is that I would rather have some than not! Fun blogging, Cheryl, keep it up!

Pattie said...

How about we talk "money lessons" together while baking some rainbow cupcakes?

Judy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Judy said...

t's interesting because as you get older your income will generally increase. But as your children get older it cost more and more to keep them going. So it seems like you're constantly climbing a hill and never quite make it to the top. The trick is to enjoy the climb itself and take time to stop and look at the valley below. The view will always be there whether you have $$ or not. Of course you have to be frugal and spend wisely, but some memories are simply priceless. (regardless of the cost)

Heather said...

Accountants will just have to get jobs in rock and roll bands I guess. Your idea of heaven sounds good to me to--we don't have to can all those fresh peaches though I hope.